Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Social experiments.

One of the most natural tendencies of human minds is curiosity, especially about the human mind itself. We can never really study ourselves and come up with solid evidence to formulate theories and assumptions, because we can never be objective about ourselves. So we perform experiments to test our limits and gauge our reactions.

I don't know about anyone else, but to me, those outcomes show we as humans have an incredible potential to become the most dangerous beings on the planet.

Despite bragging about being the only animals to be social, have organized religion and a code of ethics and social conduct, we also have the dubious honour of being the most murderous of all animals. Animals don't seem to have the capability to emote sympathy, but neither do they emote sadism.

It's scary how social structure can affect our behaviour. No matter how much we claim to be of independent thought or aspire to be free thinkers, we're still following some sort of multi-step plan in fulfilling our roles in our society. Most of the conforming is fairly harmless and mostly beneficial. But I just saw videos of the Zimbardo experiment and the Milgram experiment, and I didn't find it fascinating, at least not immediately. I found it repulsive and, quite frankly, horrifying.

I have always found human nature fascinating because it can't be explained. But seeing stuff like this makes me wonder if I am even right in wanting to find answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment